Visiting a Resident
Social Visiting Times:
1.30pm - 8.30 pm every day of the year
Only 3 visitors are permitted to see an individual in our care at any one time. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult and be a close relation of the Resident.
Changes to Booking of Transport for Visits at Dungavel IRC
From Monday 12th January 2015 visitors to Dungavel will be able to book transport to the centre. Any visitor requiring transport to Dungavel IRC will be picked up from Hamilton Bus Station or Hamilton Central Railway Station by the centre transport and taken to the centre. Following their visit they will be taken back to either the train or bus station.
There are a number of options on how to book transport:
Residents: Residents can book transport for their visitors in the ILC. Residents should inform the officer in the ILC of the names of their visitors requiring transport and their time of arrival at Hamilton Bus Station or Hamilton Central Train Station. The officer will then book the transport for your visitor. At the end of your visit your visitors will be taken back to the bus or train station. Please ensure that you make your booking at least 24 hours in advance to ensure arrangements can be made.
Via email: A dedicated email address has been set up. Please contact email@example.com and provide the name of the Resident you will be visiting, the names of the visitors requiring transport and their time of arrival at Hamilton Bus Station or Hamilton Central Station, a contact mobile telephone number would also be helpful in case of issues on the day. Your transport will be booked and a confirmation email will be sent. At the end of your visit you will be taken back to the bus or train station. Please ensure that you make your booking at least 24 hours in advance to ensure arrangements can be made.
Via Telephone: Please contact Dungavel IRC via 01698 935 000, provide the name of the Resident you will be visiting, the names of the visitors requiring transport and their time of arrival at Hamilton Bus Station or Hamilton Central Station, a contact mobile telephone number would also be helpful in case of issues on the day. Your transport will be booked and confirmed to you. At the end of your visit you will be taken back to the bus or train station. Please ensure that you make your booking at least 24 hours in advance to ensure arrangements can be made.
Please note that there is no change to the advertised visits times. While every effort will be made to accommodate all requests there may be times where prior bookings clash with your requests, Dungavel IRC will attempt to minimise any waiting necessary at pick up points.
Apart from illegal items, there are also prohibited items, which cannot be brought in by a Visitor as they are not allowed into the Centre. These include:
- Tobacco based products. (Tobacco products may be brought into the Centre for Residents only, however, these items will be searched, bagged and taken to Reception.)
- Lighters, matches or other flammable based products.
- Items which may aid an escape, e.g. wire or abrasive materials.
- Mobile phones (unless authorised), cameras or recording equipment.
- Any consumables.
Resident Prohibited Items. (These items are prohibited in any Resident's possession).
- Refillable Lighters, Matches and any other flammable based product
- Lighter Fuel.
- Alcohol based Perfumes / Aftershaves.
- Nail Polish.
- Flammable Substances.
- Scissors / Penknives.
- Nail Files / (Small Nail Clippers without a file are permitted).
- Glass Mirrors.
- Chewing Gum.
- Blue Tac.
- Glue or Cellotape.
- Cash / Foreign Currency.
- Cheque / Bank books / Credit/ Bank Cards.
- Passports / ID Cards / National Insurance Cards.
- Camouflage / Military Clothing.
- Birth / Marriage Certificates.
- Driving Licenses.
- Cameras / Video Cameras / USB Devices.
- Audio Recording Equipment.
- Personal Hi-Fi Equipment (with built-in recording device).
- Computers / Laptops or internet access devices.
- Copied Videos / CDs or DVDs.
- Mobile phones with internet or camera access.
- Smart Watches
- Electrical household appliances.
- Thermos Flasks.
- Household Utensils.
- Crockery or metal cutlery.
- Photo frames containing glass.
- Steel Toe-Capped footwear.
- Pins / Needles / Sewing Equipment.
- Plants / Flowers.
- Toys / Games.
- Pets / Animals.
- Pornographic / Racist or Extremist items.
- Articles of clothing which may cause offence.
- Medication not issued by on-site Healthcare.
- Illegal Substances (Drugs / PS).
Any item not listed, which in an officer's opinion may cause offence, jeopardise the security of the establishment, or endanger the health and safety of those within may also be prohibited from use.
All items prohibited from use will be securely stored for return to the Resident on leaving the establishment.
Weapons will be passed to the Security Department for disposal. (Unless deemed by law to be illegal, in which case the item(s) will be passed to the police, who may take further action).
Items Permitted in Resident's Possession:
- Toiletries & Cosmetics (not containing alcohol). 1
- Personal Audio Equipment (without recording facility).
- Videos / DVDs / CDs (Original recordings only). 2
- Articles required for Religious Observance.
- Photographs (not pornographic or offensive, cannot be of themselves or other residents).
- Clothing and Footwear
- Books /Magazines (not pornographic or offensive).
- Medication (only issued by on-site Healthcare).
1. Only sealed containers will be allowed in possession, if opened the item will be stored until the Resident leaves the centre.
2. Videos/DVDs/CDs/Tapes will only be permitted after being screened by staff to ensure they contain no crime, incitement, pornography or excessive violence.
Any item not listed, which in an officer's opinion does not cause offence, jeopardise the security of the establishment, or endanger the health and safety of those within may also be allowed in use. Residents are responsible for ensuring the correct usage of all items issued into their possession. Any item found to have been misused or used for a purpose other than which it was designed, may be removed from possession.
GEO accepts no responsibility for the loss, damage or misuse of items taken into possession by residents.
Legal Visiting times:
9am - 12pm and 1.30pm - 9.00pm
Legal visitors (solicitors and Home Office officials) must pre-book by:
- Faxing 01698 395067
- Submitting an online request
Visitors must being 2 types of identification with them on their first visit:
- Photograph identification (e.g. valid passport)
- Proof of address (e.g. recent utility bill).
Visitors must also bring identification for any children such as a passport or birth certificate.
The information provided will be processed by the Home Office in accordance with General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 1998. The Home Office is the data controller in relation to the information provided by visitors.
All visitors will be photographed on entry for identification purposes.